Students Staff

Your studies and Tier 4

Withdrawing from your course

If you have a student/Tier 4 visa, once you have completed your request to withdraw from your course you should make arrangements to leave the UK as soon as possible, regardless of the expiry date on your visa. Unless you will be making a new immigration application to remain in the UK as allowed within the Immigration Rules.

If you have a Tier 4 visa, the University is required to report changes in your studies to the Home Office. The University is only able to sponsor you under Tier 4 (General) for the periods that you are required to be in attendance. You should leave the UK when you are not required to attend and will usually have to apply for fresh entry clearance before you return.

If you have withdrawn from the University of Essex but would like to remain in the UK to study elsewhere, you should seek immigration advice from the institution you wish to study at.

If you are withdrawing from one University of Essex course to start another course with us please read the information about changing your course.

Students who have an old rules student visa (a student visa that was applied for before 31 March 2009) should not remain in the UK during periods they are not studying. Different rules apply to you, please seek immigration advice immediately from the International Services Team by completing our online enquiry form.

Further information and advice