Students Staff

How to pay your fees

  • Online

  • Bank transfer

    Payments can be made at any bank to the following account:

    Lloyds Bank
    27 High Street
    CO1 1DU

    Sort code: 30 92 16
    Account number: 01182625
    Account name: University of Essex

    IBAN GB02 LOYD 3092 1601 1826 25
    Swift LOYDGB21115

    Please quote your PRID/customer reference number on all transactions.

    If you’re an international student, the preferred method of payment is via International Bank transfer and online payment options.

    You must only pay the amount shown on your invoice into this account. If you pay too much and then need a refund, a 1% handling fee will be deducted.

  • In person

    You can pay in person at your Student Services Hub:
    9am until 5pm
    Monday to Friday

    Colchester Campus

    Silberrad Student Centre

    Southend Campus

    The Forum

    We discourage you from carrying large amounts of cash and advise you to pay by another payment method.

UK and EU students receiving a student loan


If you're a UK or EU undergraduate then you may be eligible for a UK government tuition fee loan. The Student Loans Company (SLC) will pay your fees directly to us, so you don't have to pay us yourself. It's still important for you to read our fee payment terms and policies below. You also need to remember to reapply for your loan each year.


If you have a confirmed Postgraduate Loan from the Student Loans Company, you can make instalment payments, in line with the Postgraduate Loan release dates.

In order to have your Postgraduate Loan officially confirmed by the University via the SLC's online system, you must have returned your signed declaration to the SLC.

If your loan has not been officially confirmed to the University by the start of term you will be required to pay the initial instalment online during the pre-registration process or in person at registration

Higher and Degree Apprenticeships

Higher and Degree Apprentices do not pay any tuition fees as these are covered by their employer, as well as earning a salary. However, due to the nature of apprenticeships and how they are funded, apprentices are not eligible for student finance via Student Finance England – this includes both tuition fee loans and maintenance loans. Living costs, including housing, travel, and materials will need to be covered by the apprentice themselves.

International students and UK/EU students not receiving a student loan

Tuition fee deposit (international students only)

Undergraduate students in our Essex Pathways Department and international postgraduate students, and students taking a pre-sessional English course must pay a tuition fee deposit before being issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies for a Tier 4 Student Visa.

  • Pay your tuition fee deposit (international postgraduate and undergraduate Essex Pathways Department students and students taking a pre-sessional English course only)

When to pay

You'll receive an invoice, detailing the fees you need to pay. You can either pay the whole fee for the year in one go or pay by termly instalments. Fees are due on specific dates each term which will be listed on your invoice.

Paying early

New students
  • If you've received your Essex PRID number, you can pay online.
  • If you don't yet have your PRID, you can pay by bank transfer, quoting your UCAS number (undergraduate students) or PG number (postgraduate students).

The amount you need to pay will be in your offer letter.

Continuing students

You can pay online using your PRID number.

Fee payment terms and policies

Late payments

If you are late in paying your tuition fees then penalties will be charged at the following rates:

  • Home and EU undergraduates - £25 per term
  • all other students - 12.5% per annum

Contact us

Colchester students

Student Services Hub

Colchester Campus, Square 5

Telephone 01206 874000

Fax 01206 872164


Southend and Loughton students

Student Services Hub

Student Services, The Forum

Telephone 01702 328218

Fax 01702 328230


Short courses

The information on this page only relates to University undergraduate and postgraduate courses (eg degree courses). Short courses are normally administered by individual academic departments. You should contact the department running your course if you have any queries about paying your fees.