Students Staff

Budgeting and working while studying

Money management

word blackbullion with purple star - logo

Blackbullion is an easy-to-use online resource designed to help you take control of your financial future by developing your money management skills and maximising the value of bursaries and other financial aid.

Money management modules

Need advice about taking control of your money? Ensure you keep your finances on track by taking part in online money management modules from Blackbullion.

Available free of charge to all students and staff, just register with your University of Essex email address. Students who don’t yet have a University email address can use the University Code 'ESSEXOD'. Modules available include:

  • pre-entry
  • getting started
  • budgeting
  • debt
  • saving
  • graduation
  • credit score


We also recommend the Student Calculator and International Student Calculator from Brightside. These tools can help you check which funding you're entitled to and show you how to build a personal budget to keep track of your finances.

Working while studying

Many students choose to work part-time to supplement their income. Working during your course can also give you excellent skills and experience to boost your CV. Our Employability and Careers Centre can help you find part-time work. There are also many opportunities to work in paid jobs on campus.

If you're an international student, please read our information on working in the UK for international students before you start looking for a job. The country you're from and your visa type will determine whether or not you can work in the UK.

Living off campus

SU Advice can advise you about renting in the private sector, including what bills or other payments you may be responsible for. Get in touch with SU Homes if you need help finding private sector accommodation.

Vehicle insurance while attending a University course or a placement

Students should be aware that the most basic form of vehicle insurance cover (social, domestic and pleasure) is unlikely to include cover for driving to and from the University every day to study or to the location of a work placement.

Instead, a policy that includes travel to and from a usual place of work/business (commute) is likely to include travel to and from the University/usual place of study.

In cases where students will be driving to any place other than their usual place of study/work, it is likely that an additional 'business use' extension to their insurance policy will also be needed to cover them for this type of journey. For example, when driving to the station to go to London for a seminar or driving to Southend when they are usually based in Colchester.

For more information on vehicle insurance, please contact the University's Insurance Officer.

Get help

Complete our funding enquiry form (applicants and current students only) for help and advice, if you:

  • are having problems applying for your statutory funding
  • have any questions about what you can apply for

Contact your Student Services Hub if you:

  • would like to submit an application form for a University hardship fund
  • supply supporting evidence for an application

Debt and hardship loans

We provide information about managing debt. Hardship loans are also available if you're experiencing financial difficulty: