Students Staff

Claiming benefits

Who can claim

  • Students with children

    If you have children living with you then you may be entitled to additional student funding and some benefits. If you will be joining us on a full-time course, our factsheets will help you prepare:

  • Part-time students

    Part-time students are not excluded from claiming welfare benefits. However, if you are applying as a jobseeker you will still need to comply with any conditions and Jobcentre requirements, such as meeting with an adviser, looking for work and taking a job if offered one.

  • Disabled students

    If you are a full-time student in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) you should inform the Department for Work and Pensions that you are starting a course of full-time study. This should not affect your disability benefit.

    You may be able to apply for additional benefits while studying. If you'll be studying a full-time undergraduate course then our factsheet provides further information. If you will be starting postgraduate study and have questions about your benefits please contact us.

  • Some intermitting students

    Students who are waiting to return from an intermission for medical reasons or due to caring responsibilities may be able to claim benefits from the date they recover, or their caring responsibilities come to an end, up to the date the course resumes. If you would like advice please contact us.

  • Pensioners

    Please seek specialist advice if you are a student who is a pensioner.

Recent changes

  • Personal Independence Payment changes from 25 May 2015

    From 25 May 2015 current recipients of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in the Colchester area will be reassessed for Personal Independence Payment PIP. If you are receiving DLA you will be informed by letter when you need to apply for PIP. We recommend you seek advice about your PIP application.

  • Universal Credit changes from 16 March 2015

    From 16 March 2015, in Colchester, single jobseekers apply for Universal Credit. All other benefit claimants can continue to claim existing benefits. For other locations and for the latest information, see the Universal Credit website.

    As a full-time student you will only be able to claim Universal Credit if you are responsible for a child or children or if you are assessed as having ‘limited capability for work’ under Department for Work and Pensions criteria.

Where to get help

Advice about making benefit claims or changes in circumstances for benefit claimants can be sought from your local Citizens Advice Bureau. Disabled students can ring the helpline for students at Disability Rights UK. If you are not sure which benefits you may be entitled to claim you can contact us.

Further information

Information about benefits for higher education students is provided by: