Students Staff

2017-18 fees for current students

This page lists fees for returning undergraduates continuing their course in 2017-18. If you'll be a new undergraduate student registering at Essex for the first time in 2017-18, please see our fees for new Home/EU and international students.

If you'll be continuing your Masters or postgraduate research studies in 2017-18, you'll pay fees at the same rate as new students.

This page lists both Home/EU and international fees. You're an international fee-payer if you're from a non-EU country. You can contact us to enquire about your fee status.

Returning undergraduate students

The tables below show fees for returning students continuing an undergraduate degree in 2017-18. This includes students that are repeating or re-starting the first year of a degree course in 2017-18 having initially registered in 2016-17.

Students who first registered in 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16 or 2016-17
  Home/EU students International students
Full-time undergraduate degree courses, other than those listed below £9,000 £13,350
Laboratory based courses in Biological Sciences, Psychology and Health and Human Sciences £9,000 £15,450*
Placement or year abroad within a 4 year degree Zero fee Zero fee

Students who first registered in 2011-12
  Home and EU students Students holding an ELQ International students
Laboratory based courses in Biological Sciences, Psychology and Health and Human Sciences £3,465 £13,160 £15,450*
Acting courses £3,465 £10,440 £13,350
All other full time undergraduate degree courses £3,465 £8,800 £13,350
Placement or year abroad within a 4 year degree £1,725 50% of standard fee for the course 50% of standard fee for the course

* For students commencing study before 2017-18 Health and Human Sciences lab-based courses were generally available to Home students only. The international tuition fee for our Foundation Degree in Oral Health Science (which includes placement fees) will be £29,353 for 2017-18.


  • Industrial and clinical placements and courses involving a year abroad

    If you initially registered in 2012-13 or later you will be charged zero fee.

    If you initially registered in 2011-12 and are taking a course that involves a year abroad or an industrial or clinical placement within a four-year degree in 2014-15, you will pay a fee of 50% of the standard fee for the course, unless you are a Home or EU student with a placement as part of the Erasmus exchange programme for which no fee will be charged.

  • Equivalent or Lower Qualifications (ELQs)

    If you were admitted to a degree course in 2011 and already possessed a qualification at the same, or higher, level as the course you are taking at the University of Essex, you will have been classified as an ELQ (Equivalent or Lower Qualifications) student for fees purposes.

    If you are a Home or EU student admitted to an undergraduate degree course in 2011 or earlier, which is at an equivalent or lower level than a qualification you already possess, you may be liable to pay a higher tuition fee for your degree course. This is because the University does not receive funding from the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) for students who are aiming for a qualification that is equivalent or lower (ELQ) than they already possess.

    There are a number of exemptions to the ELQ fees policy. Eligibility for exemptions will be assessed during the admissions process. Exemptions include:

    • students in receipt of the Disabled Students Allowance
    • students taking a Foundation Degree course
    • students taking one of the NHS-funded degree courses with the School of Health and Human Sciences

  • Channel Islands and Isle of Man students

    If you are a student from the Isle of Man or Channel Islands and started your course in 2012-13 or later you will pay the same tuition fees as Home/EU students. If you began your degree before 2012-13 you will be subject to different fees. For further information, please email

Tuition fee policies and how to pay

Funding your studies

There are various organisations which might be able to help you with funding.