Students Staff
Essential information for new international students, including immigration, finance, insurance and life on campus

New international students

New students

Welcome icon

Welcome to all new students who will be joining our University community. Our welcome information provides important pre-arrival updates and will help you settle in to your new life at Essex.

Wherever you're travelling from, a warm welcome awaits you at Essex.

This information will help you prepare for your arrival and includes what to bring, and how to settle into university life and enjoy everything Essex and the UK has to offer. Also make sure you check out the rest of the information for all new students and our information for current international students.

We are proud to be a global community and we recognise that living and studying in the UK may be very different from your own country.

Essex has a wide range of support covering academic and health and wellbeing issues. Our friendly and professional staff will be able to guide, advise and assist you during your time at Essex.

Read all the guidance and publications carefully, watch our videos and check out our social media so you don't miss out on anything!

Get ready for Essex!

  • Immigration

  • Money matters

    Before travelling overseas, it is important to notify your bank that you will be using your debit or credit card abroad to make payments. This reduces the likelihood of your bank card being blocked which could delay your registration process.

  • Insurance


    We strongly recommend you arrange travel insurance before you leave your home country to cover you throughout your studies in the UK. Make sure your insurance covers repatriation of you and any dependants to your home country, should it become necessary, this will not be covered by the NHS in any circumstances and is expensive.

    Lots of students choose to visit other countries during University vacations or as part of their studies, make sure your travel insurance covers you for worldwide travel and for the things you want to do whilst you are there.

    Personal belongings

    It is important that you take out insurance against the loss or theft of personal belongings including any cash funds.

    If you will be living in University accommodation standard contents cover has been arranged for you with Endsleigh Insurance that will cover your belongings whilst they are in your room. We recommend you check the policy details including what’s covered, you will be able to increase the cover if you would like to.

    Insurance companies

    There are many different insurance providers in the UK who offer various types of policies. Before taking out insurance make sure the company is regulated by checking the Financial Services Register. Check the policy wording and make sure it offers you the cover you require.

    Endsleigh Insurance offer many different types of insurance policies including a policy for international students studying in the UK, the cover includes pre-paid course fees if you have to cut short or repeat your course due to an accident or illness and medical costs not covered by the NHS. Endsleigh was originally created by the National Union of Students and are the only provider currently recommended by the NUS.

  • Healthcare

    There are some services and treatments that are carried out at an NHS hospital that are exempt from charges and are free to everyone, including temporary visitors to the UK.

    EEA (European Economic Area) students are required to have Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI); you must arrange this in your home country, before you travel to the UK. An EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) will give you the same entitlement as UK nationals to NHS care and, if your stay in the UK is not intended to be permanent (i.e. you are only here to study a course), it is accepted as evidence of CSI. You must obtain your EHIC before you leave your home country to travel to the UK. This may change when the UK has left the EU, we will update our information when we know more.

    Non-EEA full time students are considered to be ordinarily resident in England whilst they are studying with us and will have access to NHS (National Health Service) care in the same way UK nationals do.

    Make sure you know what you are entitled to and arrange private health insurance to cover treatment you may have to pay for. Read the NHS information about moving to England for more information.

    Our University provides advice and guidance about your health and wellbeing and you will have access to many support services whilst you are studying with us. After your arrival in the UK you will need to register with a local doctor, also known as a GP (General Practitioner), they will provide you with your NHS number.

Support for when you arrive

thai student society fundraiser

Thai Student Society fundraising event

Life as an Essex student

Employability events

Students at a careers fair

We have lots of careers events and workshops running this term, all designed to help you develop skills, research future career options and meet employers. Some are one-off annual events, so don't miss out.


students discussing

Frontrunners is our original placement scheme that offers students paid work opportunities on campus. You'll get on-placement training and great experience to add to your CV.

Essex Interns

Students walking up stairs

Internships are an excellent way to earn money and develop a stand-out CV. Register with us for information on paid internship opportunities with local, national and even international employers.

Big Essex Award

Big essex award logo

Join the 3,000+ students
(as of June 2017) who have completed The Big Essex Award so far and get University recognition for all of your extra-curricular activities. We’ll help you identify your skills and sell your experience to employers.