Students Staff

myEssex: the student portal

New students

My course

Study resources

Exams and coursework

Health and wellbeing

Disability and dyslexia

Campus and travel info

Student experience

Student communities

Money matters


Get help and support

Returning student registration

New student registration

Welcome week

Are you a new student registering to start a new course? We can provide you with help and advice about what you need to do before you arrive and what you need to bring with you to your department registration event. Welcome to Essex!

All returning students and new students must register at the start of each academic year. You need to do this in order to be able to continue on your course. You will need your usual Essex username (on your registration card) and password. If necessary, you can request a password reset.

Register online

Please register online by 4pm on Friday 6 October.

If you miss this deadline, you can still register online until a final deadline of midnight on Monday 23 October, but you will be charged a late registration fee of £75.

If you have problems registering, please contact us immediately so that we can try to resolve them for you.

Guide to Registration (courses starting October 2017)

To complete online Registration you will need to:

  • review your personal details
  • provide equal opportunities and additional information
  • check and update your home and term-time contact details
  • check your course details
  • sign up to the University's regulations
  • review and pay your tuition fees (if required to do so

Changing your personal information

If any of your personal information is incorrect, please continue with online registration and then bring relevant evidence such as a passport or driving licence to your Student Services Hub so that your student record can be updated.

Help with online Registration

  • Check you are eligible to register online

    You will not be able to complete Registration online if:

    • you owe money to the University - please email or call 01206 874000
    • you are returning from intermission - you need to contact your Student Services Hub, email
    • you are going to be studying abroad and your overseas institution have not confirmed your arrival with the Essex Abroad office. Once your overseas institution have confirmed your arrival, and provided you are not in debt, you will be able to register online
    • you are a returning non-European Economic Area (EEA) international student and have been asked to provide a copy of your passport and visa to the Student Services Hub - you will not be able to complete Registration until you have provided these documents
    • you have taken re-sits, you will not be able to register until your results have been confirmed and updated by the Registry. This generally takes place immediately before the start of the academic year
    • you are a research student and we are waiting for a progress report from your department, school or centre. Once this has been received and approved, you will receive an email advising you to complete registration

  • Paying your tuition fees

    You can pay your fees:

    1. online – select option 1 which will take you to our online payment system
    2. in person on campus
    3. by bank transfer – select option 3 and our bank details will be provided. Please note that this can take up to ten days to complete.

    You must make a payment of at least one term's tuition fee before you can re-register, even if you intend to pay your fees when you arrive.

    Self-funded or privately funded students

    If you are self-funded or privately funded you are required to pay at least one instalment (one term) at or before Registration. You will be able to pay your tuition fees as part of Registration or in advance.

    If you are funded by a recognised sponsor (eg a research council or overseas government), we will send an invoice directly to your sponsor. If you have any questions please contact your Student Services Hub

  • Registration confirmation

    Once you have successfully registered you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive this within 24 hours, please contact us so that we can check you have successfully registered.

    If you exit Registration before finishing it, you won't have to re-enter your information. Every step that you completed will be saved on your student record.

  • Student loans and grants

    Undergraduate (UK/EU) students

    If you have applied for a student loan and/or Government grant you will receive information directly from Student Finance England during the summer. If you are to receive a full tuition fee loan you will not be required to make a payment to the University. If you are required to pay some or all of your tuition fees you will receive an invoice from the University, once you have completed Registration. The invoice will detail the amount due, the payment options (either in full or by instalments) and the date the payment(s) must be made.

    If you have not been assessed by Student Finance England at the time of Registration, you should still complete Online Registration and commence your studies for the year. If you have not been assessed by the time the tuition fee payments are due (as detailed in the invoice issued to you), they must be paid by the due date and when your assessment has been completed the University will refund any overpayments to you.

    Important note

    If you have received a confirmation letter from Student Finance England stating that you must take it to Registration at the University of Essex, you do not need to do this.

    Once you have completed Registration online we will send an electronic confirmation to Student Finance England and they will release any payments due to you into your bank account. Please allow one week for the payment to be made to you. If we have any questions we will contact you directly and may need to see the letter from Student Finance England at this time.

  • International EEA (Non-European Economic Area) students visa requirements

    As a licensed Tier 4 sponsor, the University must ensure that all non-EEA students have valid immigration permission that allows study with us. We are required to check your passport and UK visa and must keep a copy of these documents.

  • Replacement registration cards

    Replacement cards can be requested direct from your Student Services Hub. Please bring with you a form of identification. There is a charge of £5 for this service.

    Stolen registration cards

    Your card will be replaced free of charge only on production of a police crime number. At the Southend Campus, replacement registration cards should be requested from the Student Administration section by going to the reception area on the second floor of the The Forum. At the Loughton Campus, please email your request for a replacement registration card to and your card should be ready to collect after 7 days from the ground floor of Hatfields House.

  • Registering to vote

    If you’re eligible to vote in UK local and general elections, you’ll need to make sure you’re on the electoral register once you’ve settled into your accommodation, using your new address. Don’t miss your chance to have your say – join the UK electoral register online.

Contact us

For more information or additional advice and guidance, contact our registration team.