Music and Singing I
East 15 Acting School
Undergraduate: Level 4
Thursday 03 October 2019
Friday 26 June 2020
02 April 2019
Requisites for this module
BA W411 Acting,
BA W83A Acting (International),
BA W441 Acting and Contemporary Theatre
Students will be introduced to the fundamentals of good voice production and begin to acquire a sense of rhythm and aural awareness. You will be introduced to warm-ups and will develop the technical skills to progress to an increasingly demanding range of repertoire and emotional situations. By the end of the module you will have acquired knowledge of vocal technique and an ability to begin the control of nerves in performance. You will have begun to understand the individual characteristics of your own voice and the appropriate care needed to maintain
it. You will also have a basic working knowledge of music theory.
To encourage students to:
- Establish a daily warm up routine to keep the voice healthy and agile
- Identify and critically analyse various singing styles and techniques
- Begin to appreciate the role of music as an entity in theatrical performance
- Understand the connection to be made between singing, music, movement, voice and acting in approaching song performance
- Understand the stylistic context in which they are working
- Develop the ability to make objective criticism of vocal performance
- Understand basic music theory
By the end of the module you will be able to demonstrate:
- Various technical skills
- Various sung material
No additional information available.
- Students work with music and singing tutors in group practical classes
- Normally 4 hours of music/singing classes per week except during acting priority weeks
- Students will be expected to practise music and singing in independent study
- Screening of selected performances will support students' learning on this module
- Formative verbal assessment and feedback from tutors at the end of Terms One and Two
- Written report with summative assessment and tutor's comments at the end of Term Three
This module does not appear to have a published bibliography.
Module supervisor and teaching staff
Neil Somerville and staff
East 15 Acting School
Loughton, IG10 3RY
No external examiner information available for this module.
Available via Moodle
No lecture recording information available for this module.
Disclaimer: The University makes every effort to ensure that this information on its Module Directory is accurate and up-to-date. Exceptionally it can
be necessary to make changes, for example to programmes, modules, facilities or fees. Examples of such reasons might include a change of law or regulatory requirements,
industrial action, lack of demand, departure of key personnel, change in government policy, or withdrawal/reduction of funding. Changes to modules may for example consist
of variations to the content and method of delivery or assessment of modules and other services, to discontinue modules and other services and to merge or combine modules.
The University will endeavour to keep such changes to a minimum, and will also keep students informed appropriately by updating our programme specifications and module directory.
The full Procedures, Rules and Regulations of the University governing how it operates are set out in the Charter, Statutes and Ordinances and in the University Regulations, Policy and Procedures.