Verbatim Theatre and Contemporary Scene Study
East 15 Acting School
Undergraduate: Level 4
Monday 13 January 2020
Friday 20 March 2020
02 April 2019
Requisites for this module
BA W411 Acting,
BA W83A Acting (International),
BA W441 Acting and Contemporary Theatre
Students will work in groups to study scenes from a contemporary play, learning how to divide a scene into units
of action, how to discover objectives for a character and use the text to discover information – about the play, its
themes and characters. You will workshop scenes in your groups, practising your learning from the early part of
the course. By the end of this block of work you will be able to find a character's through line and recreate work
achieved during the rehearsal process
To provide students with opportunities to:
- Work on material that demands truthful and in-depth investigation
- Apply detailed and accurate research methods
- Put acting methods and theory to use in acting a piece of text
By the end of this module you will be able to demonstrate:
- Professional potential: range, focus, presence in verbatim theatre and contemporary scenes
- Commitment: energy, positive attitude, personal contribution to the group
- Creative inventiveness: fresh responses, spontaneity in a range of experiences taken from real life and from
- Flexibility & sensitivity to change: responsiveness to others and to direction in verbatim theatre and
- Ensemble acting: adaptability, generosity, awareness of relationships
- Objective self-assessment: awareness of own strengths and weaknesses as an actor, ability to accept
criticism and act upon it
- Research skills: in-depth interviews, objective observation, selection of appropriate material, accurate
No additional information available.
- Students work with tutors in group practical classes, workshops, rehearsals, improvisation and discussion.
- Oral formative assessment and tutor feedback. Written formative assessment and feedback in written reports
This module does not appear to have a published bibliography.
Module supervisor and teaching staff
East 15 Acting School
Loughton, IG10 3RY
Dr Kerrie Vanessa Schaefer
The University of Exeter
Available via Moodle
No lecture recording information available for this module.
Disclaimer: The University makes every effort to ensure that this information on its Module Directory is accurate and up-to-date. Exceptionally it can
be necessary to make changes, for example to programmes, modules, facilities or fees. Examples of such reasons might include a change of law or regulatory requirements,
industrial action, lack of demand, departure of key personnel, change in government policy, or withdrawal/reduction of funding. Changes to modules may for example consist
of variations to the content and method of delivery or assessment of modules and other services, to discontinue modules and other services and to merge or combine modules.
The University will endeavour to keep such changes to a minimum, and will also keep students informed appropriately by updating our programme specifications and module directory.
The full Procedures, Rules and Regulations of the University governing how it operates are set out in the Charter, Statutes and Ordinances and in the University Regulations, Policy and Procedures.