The list of topics is non-exhaustive and can vary from year to year:
- week 2: Introduction. Using ERPs to investigate sentence processing (CDL)
Barkley, C., KLuender, R., & Kutas, M. (2015). Referential processing in the human brain: An Event-Related Potential (ERP) study. Brain Research, 1629, 143-159.
- week 3: Perception of regional variation: the pre-school years and beyond (EJ)
Floccia, C., Butler, J., Girard, F., & Goslin, J. (2009). Categorization of regional and foreign accent in 5-to 7-year-old British children. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 33(4), 366-375.
- week 4: Speech perception: how do infants deal with speaker variability? (CDL)
Floccia, C., Delle Luche, C., Durrant, S., Butler, J., & Goslin, J. (2012). Parent or community: Where do 20-month-olds exposed to two accents acquire their representation of words? Cognition, 124, 95-100. doi:10.1016/j.cognition.2012.03.011
- week 5: Bilingualism: how do infants organise their lexicon? (CDL)
DeAnda, S., Hendrickson, K., Zesiger, P., Poulin-Dubois, D., & Friend, M. (2018). Lexical access in the second year: A study of monolingual and bilingual vocabulary development. Bilingualism (Cambridge, England), 21(2), 314-327. doi:10.1017/S1366728917000220
- week 6: Bilingualism: lifelong development and language attrition (MS)
Schmid, M.S. (2014) The Debate on Maturational Constraints in Bilingual
Development: A Perspective from First-Language Attrition, Language Acquisition, 21(4), 386-410.
- week 7: What characterises successful language learners? (KRB)
Biedro"ì, A., & Szczepaniak, A. (2012). Working memory and short-term memory abilities in accomplished multilinguals. Modern Language Journal, 96(2), 290-306.
- week 8: Do we know what we know? What language learners believe and what they can actually do (KRB)
Rodríguez Silva, L. H., & Roehr-Brackin, K. (2016). Perceived learning difficulty and actual performance: Explicit and implicit knowledge of L2 English grammar points among instructed adult learners. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 38(2), 317-340.
- week 9: Children's language learning in the classroom (KRB)
Roehr-Brackin, K., & Tellier, A. (2019). The role of language-analytic ability in children's instructed second language learning. Studies in Second Language Acquisition. (Advance online publication)
- week 10: Lexical processing: do consonants drive lexical access? (CDL)
Delle Luche, C., Poltrock, S., Goslin, J., New, B., Floccia, C., & Nazzi, T. (2014). Differential processing of consonants and vowels in the auditory modality: A cross-linguistic study. Journal of Memory and Language, 72, 1-15. doi:10.1016/j.jml.2013.12.001
- week 11: Class presentations