Language Teaching in Different Contexts
Language and Linguistics
Undergraduate: Level 5
Sunday 17 January 2021
Friday 26 March 2021
26 May 2020
Requisites for this module
BA R116 Language Studies and Teaching English as a Foreign Language,
BA R117 Language Studies and Teaching English as a Foreign Language (Including Foundation Year)
This module introduces students to some of the main contexts in which language teachers may find themselves teaching. The module looks at how these different contexts shape pedagogy, practice and course design. The module also explores key aspects of materials design and development and draws attention to the importance of selecting appropriate materials and activities for classes.
The aims of the module are:
• To introduce students to some of the different contexts of language teaching.
• To explore the different ways in which learning takes places in different contexts.
• To explore the different ways in which teaching contexts impact on pedagogy and practice.
• To consider notions of appropriateness in materials design and development.
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
1. Discuss some of the different contexts in which language teaching takes place.
2. Understand how context shapes teaching, classroom activities and materials design.
3. Show understanding of how different technologies can be used in the language classroom.
4. Evaluate the appropriateness of teaching materials.
No additional information available.
The module will run over 10 weeks. There will be 20 contact hours in total, i.e. 1 X 2 hours per week, and these will take the form of lectures and seminars. Students will have the opportunity to have individual tutorials with the module lecturers where they can ask for advice on their assignments.
All materials for the module will be uploaded in advance on Moodle.
Assessment items, weightings and deadlines
|Coursework / exam
Module supervisor and teaching staff
Dr Christina Gkonou, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr Christina Gkonou & Dr Adela Gánem-Gutiérrez
Dr Christina Gkonou
Room: 4.119, Ext: 2633
Dr Adela Gánem-Gutiérrez
Room: 3.308, Ext: 2207
Available via Moodle
No lecture recording information available for this module.
* Please note: due to differing publication schedules, items marked with an asterisk (*) base their information upon the previous academic year.
Disclaimer: The University makes every effort to ensure that this information on its Module Directory is accurate and up-to-date. Exceptionally it can
be necessary to make changes, for example to programmes, modules, facilities or fees. Examples of such reasons might include a change of law or regulatory requirements,
industrial action, lack of demand, departure of key personnel, change in government policy, or withdrawal/reduction of funding. Changes to modules may for example consist
of variations to the content and method of delivery or assessment of modules and other services, to discontinue modules and other services and to merge or combine modules.
The University will endeavour to keep such changes to a minimum, and will also keep students informed appropriately by updating our programme specifications and module directory.
The full Procedures, Rules and Regulations of the University governing how it operates are set out in the Charter, Statutes and Ordinances and in the University Regulations, Policy and Procedures.