Computer and Data Networks
Computer Science and Electronic Engineering (School of)
Undergraduate: Level 5
Sunday 17 January 2021
Friday 26 March 2021
28 June 2020
Requisites for this module
BENGG420 Computer Networks,
BENGG421 Computer Networks (Including Year Abroad),
BENGI120 Computer Networks (Including Placement Year),
BSC GH56 Information and Communication Technology,
BSC GH5P Information and Communication Technology (Including Year Abroad),
BSC I102 Information and Communication Technology (Including Placement Year),
BENGH641 Communications Engineering,
BENGHP41 Communications Engineering (Including Foundation Year),
BENGHPK1 Communications Engineering (Including Placement Year),
BENGHQ41 Communications Engineering (Including Year Abroad),
MENGH642 Communications Engineering
This module will explain internet routing, Ethernet switching, Wireless LAN and associated protocols. Addressing structures will be designed for campus scale networks and the suitability of LAN and IP protocols evaluated for a modern infrastructure.
The aims of this module are:
1. to provide students with an understanding of Internet routing, Ethernet and switched network protocols;
2. to cover the Cisco CCNA Switching, Routing and Wireless Essentials syllabus;
3. to build upon material introduced in CE155.
After completing this module, students will be expected to be able to:
1. Explain and configure routing for interconnecting switched networks.
2. Explain the principles of, and configure, Ethernet switches and associated protocols.
3. Design addressing structures and interconnecting strategies for campus scale networks.
4. Assess the suitability of relevant LAN and IP protocols within a modern communications infrastructure.
5. Explain, design and configure Wireless LAN sytems for wireless connectivity.
Ethernet switching concepts and switch configuration
Spanning tree protocol
First Hop Redundancy concepts and protocols
Dynamic host configuration protocol (DHCP)
IPv6 addressing, SLAAC and DHCPv6
Wireless LAN standards
Wireless LAN components and management
Static and Dynamic routing
This module does not appear to have any essential texts. To see non-essential items, please refer to the module's reading list.
Assessment items, weightings and deadlines
|Coursework / exam
||Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching Essentials On Line Test
||Assignment 1: Routing and Switching Essentials
||120 minutes during Summer (Main Period) (Main)
Module supervisor and teaching staff
Dr Martin Reed, email: email@example.com.
Dr Martin Reed
CSEE School Office, email: csee-schooloffice (non-Essex users should add @essex.ac.uk to create full e-mail address), Telephone 01206 872770
No external examiner information available for this module.
Available via Moodle
No lecture recording information available for this module.
* Please note: due to differing publication schedules, items marked with an asterisk (*) base their information upon the previous academic year.
Disclaimer: The University makes every effort to ensure that this information on its Module Directory is accurate and up-to-date. Exceptionally it can
be necessary to make changes, for example to programmes, modules, facilities or fees. Examples of such reasons might include a change of law or regulatory requirements,
industrial action, lack of demand, departure of key personnel, change in government policy, or withdrawal/reduction of funding. Changes to modules may for example consist
of variations to the content and method of delivery or assessment of modules and other services, to discontinue modules and other services and to merge or combine modules.
The University will endeavour to keep such changes to a minimum, and will also keep students informed appropriately by updating our programme specifications and module directory.
The full Procedures, Rules and Regulations of the University governing how it operates are set out in the Charter, Statutes and Ordinances and in the University Regulations, Policy and Procedures.