Life Sciences (School of)
Undergraduate: Level 5
Thursday 08 October 2020
Friday 18 December 2020
24 January 2020
Requisites for this module
BSC C161 Marine Biology (Including Foundation Year),
BSC C164 Marine Biology,
BSC CC60 Marine Biology (Including Year Abroad),
BSC CC64 Marine Biology (Including Placement Year),
MMB C160 Marine Biology
This module will introduce some key topics in marine biodiversity including methods of assessing marine biodiversity, distribution of species in space and time, maintenance of marine biodiversity, and regulation of populations.
The module also introduces key marine taxa. Selected examples will focus on adaptations in planktonic organisms, biodiversity hot-spots such as coral reefs and explore disturbance and succession. The self learning component investigates the utility of nucleotide databases for reference RNA and environmental metagenomes in biodiversity research. Two practicals will examine the biodiversity in muddy and sandy shores, and the morphological and genetic diversity in marine amphipods.
The aim of this module is to introduce key topics in marine biodiversity
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to:
1. describe the key methods in assessing marine biodiversity
2. explain the patterns of diversity in marine systems, considering gradients of diversity on global scales, with depth in the oceans and through evolutionary time;
3. explain the mechanisms that generate and maintain patterns of diversity
4. show competence in retrieving relevant information from diverse sources, interpreting scientific data and demonstrate ability to organize and execute a self-learning task;
5. plan, write and give clear, effective, well timed oral presentations;
6. demonstrate competence in written communication and information retrieval;
7. demonstrate competence in data presentation, analysis and interpretation, numeracy, information retrieval and written communication.
No additional information available.
20 x 1 hour lectures (including 1 on directed learning material and 1 or more covering DAI material), plus 1 revision class before summer exam.
There will be a total of 2 practicals: the first will run over two days (4 + 3 hours), the second is scheduled to run for 3 hours.
- Smetacek, Victor; Passow, Uta. (1990-01) 'Spring bloom initiation and Sverdrup's critical-depth model', in Limnology and Oceanography. vol. 35 (1) , pp.228-234
- Kaiser, Michel J. (2011) Marine ecology: processes, systems, and impacts, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Charles B. Miller; Patricia Wheeler. (2012) Biological oceanography, Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Roy, K.; Jablonski, D.; Valentine, J. W.; Rosenberg, G. (1998-03-31) 'Marine latitudinal diversity gradients: Tests of causal hypotheses', in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. vol. 95 (7) , pp.3699-3702
- F. Azam et al. (1983) 'The Ecological Role of Water-Column Microbes in the Sea', in Marine Ecology Progress Series. vol. 10, pp.257-263
- William H. Wilson et al. (2005) 'Complete genome sequence and lytic phase transcription profile of a Coccolithovirus', in Science. vol. 309 (5737) , pp.1090-1092
- Estes, J. A. (1998-10-16) 'Killer Whale Predation on Sea Otters Linking Oceanic and Nearshore Ecosystems', in Science. vol. 282 (5388) , pp.473-476
- Bibby, Thomas S.; Zhang, Yinan; Chen, Min. (2009-2-25) 'Biogeography of Photosynthetic Light-Harvesting Genes in Marine Phytoplankton', in PLoS ONE. vol. 4 (2) , pp.e4601-
- Griffiths, Huw J. (2010-8-2) 'Antarctic Marine Biodiversity – What Do We Know About the Distribution of Life in the Southern Ocean?', in PLoS ONE. vol. 5 (8) , pp.e11683-
- Roberts, C. M. (2002-2-15) 'Marine Biodiversity Hotspots and Conservation Priorities for Tropical Reefs', in Science. vol. 295 (5558) , pp.1280-1284
- Hixon, M. A. (1997-8-15) 'Synergistic Predation, Density Dependence, and Population Regulation in Marine Fish', in Science. vol. 277 (5328) , pp.946-949
- E. C. Roberts et al. (2011) 'Feeding in the dinoflagellate Oxyrrhis marina: linking behaviour with mechanisms', in Journal of Plankton Research. vol. 33 (4) , pp.603-614
- Attrill, M.J; Rundle, S.D. (2002-12) 'Ecotone or Ecocline: Ecological Boundaries in Estuaries', in Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. vol. 55 (6) , pp.929-936
- V. Salo; R. Simo; A. Calbet. (2010) 'Revisiting the dilution technique to quantify the role of microzooplankton in DMS(P) cycling: laboratory and field tests', in Journal of Plankton Research. vol. 32 (9) , pp.1255-1267
- Attrill, Martin J. (2002-03) 'A testable linear model for diversity trends in estuaries', in Journal of Animal Ecology. vol. 71 (2) , pp.262-269
- Douglas B. Rusch et al. (2007) 'The Sorcerer II Global Ocean Sampling Expedition: Northwest Atlantic through Eastern Tropical Pacific', in PLoS Biology. vol. 5 (3)
- Kim N. Mouritsen; Robert Poulin. (2005) 'Parasites Boost Biodiversity and Change Animal Community Structure by Trait-Mediated Indirect Effects', in Oikos. vol. 108 (2) , pp.344-350
- Kiessling, Wolfgang; Simpson, Carl; Foote, Michael. (2010-01-08) 'Reefs as Cradles of Evolution and Sources of Biodiversity in the Phanerozoic', in Science. vol. 327 (5962) , pp.196-198
- David J. S. Montagnes et al. (2008) 'Selective feeding behaviour of key free-living protists: avenues for continued study', in Aquatic Microbial Ecology. vol. 53, pp.83-98
- Rex, M A. (1981-11) 'Community Structure in the Deep-Sea Benthos', in Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics. vol. 12 (1) , pp.331-353
- J. E. Hobbie; R. J. Daley; S. Jasper. (1977) 'Use of nuclepore filters for counting bacteria by fluorescence microscopy', in Applied and Environmental Microbiology. vol. 33 (5) , pp.1225-1228
- R. T. Paine. (1974) 'Intertidal community structure: Experimental studies on the relationship between a dominant competitor and its principal predator', in Oecologia. vol. 15 (2) , pp.93-120
- Chavez, F. P. (2003-1-10) 'From Anchovies to Sardines and Back: Multidecadal Change in the Pacific Ocean', in Science. vol. 299 (5604) , pp.217-221
- Y. Cherel et al. (2008) 'Resource partitioning within a tropical seabird community: new information from stable isotopes', in Marine Ecology Progress Series. vol. 366, pp.281-291
- Ives, A. R.; Carpenter, S. R. (2007-07-06) 'Stability and Diversity of Ecosystems', in Science. vol. 317 (5834) , pp.58-62
- Karl, D.M; Bidigare, R.R; Letelier, R.M. (2001-1) 'Long-term changes in plankton community structure and productivity in the North Pacific Subtropical Gyre: The domain shift hypothesis', in Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography. vol. 48 (8-9) , pp.1449-1470
- Ward, Jessica R; Lafferty, Kevin D. (2004-4-13) 'The Elusive Baseline of Marine Disease: Are Diseases in Ocean Ecosystems Increasing?', in PLoS Biology. vol. 2 (4) , pp.e120-
- Lugo, Ariel E. (1980-06) 'Mangrove Ecosystems: Successional or Steady State?', in Biotropica. vol. 12 (2) , pp.65-
- Ryland, John S. (2017) 'Order Amphipoda', in Handbook of the Marine Fauna of North-West Europe, Oxford: OUP Oxford., pp.350-390
- Rees, Colin B. (1940-1) 'A preliminary study of the ecology of a mud-flat', in Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. vol. 24 (01) , pp.185-
- Richard K. F. Unsworth; Sammy De Grave; Jamaluddin Jompa; David J. Smith; James J. Bell. (2007) 'Faunal relationships with seagrass habitat structure: a case study using shrimp from the Indo-Pacific', in Marine and Freshwater Research. vol. 58 (11) , pp.1008-1018
- Joseph H. Connell; Ralph O. Slatyer. (1977) 'Mechanisms of Succession in Natural Communities and Their Role in Community Stability and Organization', in The American Naturalist. vol. 111 (982) , pp.1119-1144
- Sebastien Duperron et al. (2006) 'A dual symbiosis shared by two mussel species, Bathymodiolus azoricus and Bathymodiolus puteoserpentis (Bivalvia: Mytilidae), from hydrothermal vents along the northern Mid-Atlantic Ridge', in Environmental Microbiology. vol. 8 (8) , pp.1441-1447
- Estes, James A.; Duggins, David O. (1995-02) 'Sea Otters and Kelp Forests in Alaska: Generality and Variation in a Community Ecological Paradigm', in Ecological Monographs. vol. 65 (1) , pp.75-100
- J. A. Coyer; G. Hoarau; W. T. Stam; J. L. Olsen. (2007) 'Hybridization and introgression in a mixed population of the intertidal seaweeds Fucus evanescens and F. serratus', in Journal of Evolutionary Biology. vol. 20 (6) , pp.2322-2333
- (2015) Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. vol. 370 (1659)
- C. Arnal; I. Côté; S. Morand. (2001) 'Why clean and be cleaned? The importance of client ectoparasites and mucus in a marine cleaning symbiosis', in Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology. vol. 51 (1) , pp.1-7
- Kiel, Steffen. (2016-12-14) 'A biogeographic network reveals evolutionary links between deep-sea hydrothermal vent and methane seep faunas', in Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. vol. 283 (1844) , pp.20162337-
- David L. Kimbro; Edwin D. Grosholz. (2006) 'Disturbance Influences Oyster Community Richness and Evenness, but Not Diversity', in Ecology. vol. 87 (9) , pp.2378-2388
- Unsworth, Richard K.F.; Bell, James J.; Smith, David J. (2007-10) 'Tidal fish connectivity of reef and sea grass habitats in the Indo-Pacific', in Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. vol. 87 (5) , pp.1287-1296
- F. C. Hansen; M. Reckermann; W. C. M. Klein Breteler; R. Riegman. (1993) 'Phaeocystis blooming enhanced by copepod predation on protozoa: evidence from incubation experiments', in Marine Ecology Progress Series. vol. 102 (1) , pp.51-57
- Bruno, John F.; O'Connor, Mary I. (2005-10) 'Cascading effects of predator diversity and omnivory in a marine food web', in Ecology Letters. vol. 8 (10) , pp.1048-1056
- Sverdrup, H. U. (1953-01-01) 'On Conditions for the Vernal Blooming of Phytoplankton', in ICES Journal of Marine Science. vol. 18 (3) , pp.287-295
- (no date) Report 334 - Saltmarsh Review - Coastal Saltmarshes, their dynamic & sensitivity characteristics.
- Beal, Lisa M.; De Ruijter, Wilhelmus P. M.; Biastoch, Arne; Zahn, Rainer. (2011-4) 'On the role of the Agulhas system in ocean circulation and climate', in Nature. vol. 472 (7344) , pp.429-436
- Christopher Harrold; Daniel C. Reed. (1985) 'Food Availability, Sea Urchin Grazing, and Kelp Forest Community Structure', in Ecology. vol. 66 (4) , pp.1160-1169
- Harm J. van Wijnen; René van der Wal; Jan P. Bakker. (1999) 'The impact of herbivores on nitrogen mineralization rate: consequences for salt-marsh succession', in Oecologia. vol. 118 (2) , pp.225-231
- Jakobsen, HH; Everett, LM; Strom, SL. (2006-09-12) 'Hydromechanical signaling between the ciliate Mesodinium pulex and motile protist prey', in Aquatic Microbial Ecology. vol. 44, pp.197-206
- Richard K.F. Unsworth; Leanne C. Cullen; Jules N. Pretty; David J. Smith; James J. Bell. (2010) 'Economic and subsistence values of the standing stocks of seagrass fisheries: Potential benefits of no-fishing marine protected area management', in Ocean & Coastal Management. vol. 53 (5-6) , pp.218-224
- Michael Steinke; Patrick Brading; Philip Kerrison; Mark E. Warner; David J. Suggett. (2011) 'Concentrations of dimethylsulfoniopropionate and dimethyl sulfide are strain-specific in symbiotic dinoflagellates (symbiodinium sp., dinophyceae)', in Journal of Phycology. vol. 47 (4) , pp.775-783
- Jed A. Fuhrman. (1999) 'Marine viruses and their biogeochemical and ecological effects', in Nature. vol. 399 (6736) , pp.541-548
- Vanelslander, B.; Paul, C.; Grueneberg, J.; Prince, E. K.; Gillard, J.; Sabbe, K.; Pohnert, G.; Vyverman, W. (2012-02-14) 'Daily bursts of biogenic cyanogen bromide (BrCN) control biofilm formation around a marine benthic diatom', in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. vol. 109 (7) , pp.2412-2417
- Ernest H. Williams, Jr.; Lucy Bunkley-Williams. (2000) 'Marine Major Ecological Disturbances of the Caribbean', in The Infectious Disease Review. vol. 2 (3) , pp.110-127
- Gabrielle Rocap et al. (2003) 'Genome divergence in two Prochlorococcus ecotypes reflects oceanic niche differentiation', in Nature. vol. 424 (6952) , pp.1042-1047
- Andrew R. Thompson; Christine E. Thacker; Emily Y. Shaw. (2005) 'Phylogeography of marine mutualists: parallel patterns of genetic structure between obligate goby and shrimp partners', in Molecular Ecology. vol. 14 (11) , pp.3557-3572
- Nelson Valdivia; Astrid Heidemann; Martin Thiel; Markus Molis; Martin Wahl. (2005) 'Effects of disturbance on the diversity of hard-bottom macrobenthic communities on the coast of Chile', in Marine Ecology Progress Series. vol. 299, pp.45-54
- Smith, Craig R.; Amon, Diva J.; Higgs, Nicholas D.; Glover, Adrian G.; Young, Emily L. (2017-09-27) 'Data are inadequate to test whale falls as chemosynthetic stepping-stones using network analysis: faunal overlaps do support a stepping-stone role', in Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. vol. 284 (1863) , pp.20171281-
- Michele Casini et al. (2008) 'Multi-level trophic cascades in a heavily exploited open marine ecosystem', in Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. vol. 275 (1644) , pp.1793-1801
- A. M. Jones; Robert Reed; Jonathan D. B. Weyers. (2016) Practical skills in biology, Harlow: Pearson.
- R. K. A. Morris; I. S. Reach; M. J. Duffy; T. S. Collins; R. N. Leafe. (2004) 'On the loss of saltmarshes in south-east England and the relationship with Nereis diversicolor', in Journal of Applied Ecology. vol. 41 (4) , pp.787-791
- Sala, Enric; Knowlton, Nancy. (2006-11) 'Global Marine Biodiversity Trends', in Annual Review of Environment and Resources. vol. 31 (1) , pp.93-122
- DUARTE, C. (2007-07) 'Marine ecology warms up to theory', in Trends in Ecology & Evolution. vol. 22 (7) , pp.331-333
- McQuaid, Christopher D. (2010-11) 'Marine Connectivity: Timing Is Everything', in Current Biology. vol. 20 (21) , pp.R938-R940
- Smith, David J.; Underwood, Graham J. C. (1998-11) 'Exopolymer production by intertidal epipelic diatoms', in Limnology and Oceanography. vol. 43 (7) , pp.1578-1591
- Richard K. F. Unsworth et al. (2009) 'Structuring of Indo-Pacific fish assemblages along the mangrove–seagrass continuum', in Aquatic Biology. vol. 5, pp.85-95
- (2013) Arctic Biodiversity Assessment 2013: Chapter 2, Species Diversity in the Arctic, Tromsø, Norway: Conservation of Arctic Flora and Fauna (CAFF)., pp.66-77
- Attrill, Martin J.; Wright, Jade; Edwards, Martin. (2007-01) 'Climate-related increases in jellyfish frequency suggest a more gelatinous future for the North Sea', in Limnology and Oceanography. vol. 52 (1) , pp.480-485
- B. W. Frost. (1972) 'Effects of Size and Concentration of Food Particles on the Feeding Behavior of the Marine Planktonic Copepod Calanus Pacificus', in Limnology and Oceanography. vol. 17 (6) , pp.805-815
- Bruno, John F.; Lee, Sarah C.; Kertesz, Johanna S.; Carpenter, Robert C.; Long, Zachary T.; Emmett Duffy, J. (2006-10) 'Partitioning the effects of algal species identity and richness on benthic marine primary production', in Oikos. vol. 115 (1) , pp.170-178
- Richard K. F. Unsworth et al. (2008) 'High connectivity of Indo-Pacific seagrass fish assemblages with mangrove and coral reef habitats', in Marine Ecology Progress Series. vol. 353, pp.213-224
- David Smith; Sarah Pilgrim; Leanne Cullen. (2007) 'Coral reefs and people', in The SAGE handbook of environment and society, London: SAGE., pp.500-516
- Jessica Haapkylä et al. (2009) 'Spatio-temporal coral disease dynamics in the Wakatobi Marine National Park, South-East Sulawesi, Indonesia', in Diseases of Aquatic Organisms. vol. 87, pp.105-115
- Trevor Platt; Csar Fuentes-Yaco; Kenneth T. Frank. (2003) 'Marine ecology: spring algal bloom and larval fish survival', in Nature. vol. 423 (6938) , pp.398-399
- Suzanne Strom et al. (2003) 'Chemical defense in the microplankton I: Feeding and growth rates of heterotrophic protists on the DMS-producing phytoplankter', in Limnology and Oceanography. vol. 48 (1) , pp.217-229
- Hayward, P. J.; Shields, Chris; Nelson-Smith, A. (c1996) Sea shore of Britain & Europe, London: HarperCollins. vol. Collins pocket guide
- Mark C. Emmerson et al. (2001) 'Consistent patterns and the idiosyncratic effects of biodiversity in marine ecosystems', in Nature. vol. 411 (6833) , pp.73-77
The above list is indicative of the essential reading for the course. The library makes provision for all reading list items, with digital provision where possible, and these resources are shared between students. Further reading can be obtained from this module's reading list.
Assessment items, weightings and deadlines
|Coursework / exam
||120 minutes during Summer (Main Period) (Main)
Module supervisor and teaching staff
Dr Boyd McKew, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr Boyd McKew
School Undergraduate Office, email: bsugoffice (Non essex users should add @essex.ac.uk to create the full email address)
Dr Nicholas Kamenos
University of Glasgow
Available via Moodle
Of 95 hours, 27 (28.4%) hours available to students:
68 hours not recorded due to service coverage or fault;
0 hours not recorded due to opt-out by lecturer(s).
* Please note: due to differing publication schedules, items marked with an asterisk (*) base their information upon the previous academic year.
Disclaimer: The University makes every effort to ensure that this information on its Module Directory is accurate and up-to-date. Exceptionally it can
be necessary to make changes, for example to programmes, modules, facilities or fees. Examples of such reasons might include a change of law or regulatory requirements,
industrial action, lack of demand, departure of key personnel, change in government policy, or withdrawal/reduction of funding. Changes to modules may for example consist
of variations to the content and method of delivery or assessment of modules and other services, to discontinue modules and other services and to merge or combine modules.
The University will endeavour to keep such changes to a minimum, and will also keep students informed appropriately by updating our programme specifications and module directory.
The full Procedures, Rules and Regulations of the University governing how it operates are set out in the Charter, Statutes and Ordinances and in the University Regulations, Policy and Procedures.