Students Staff

The EU Settlement Scheme

EU, non-EU EEA and Swiss nationals

There is still some uncertainty about Brexit, here’s what we understand to be the two possible immigration routes to study in the UK as an EU, EEA or Swiss national after the date the UK leaves the EU. When there is more certainty we will update this page accordingly.

If the Withdrawal Agreement is agreed by the EU and UK

The UK will enter a transition period until 31 December 2020. If you are entering the UK to start your course between the date the UK leaves the EU and 31 December 2020, you’ll be able to enter the UK and then apply to stay under the EU Settlement Scheme. This will also apply to non-EU EEA citizens, Swiss citizens and eligible family members.

If no agreement is reached and the UK leaves the UK ‘without a deal’

If you are entering the UK between the date the UK leaves the EU and the 31 December 2020 you will not be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. Instead, you’ll be granted entry to the UK for up to 3 months and will be able to study and work during that time.

Once in the UK, if you want to stay longer than the 3 months you will need to apply inside the UK for European Temporary Leave to Remain. If successful, you will be granted ETLR for a maximum period of 3 years. If you wish to stay in the UK after this 3 year period you will need to apply under the UK’s new immigration system for further leave.

From 1 January 2021

A new UK skills-based immigration system will be in place, the UK government have issued their white paper and have entered a period of consultation. The intention is to have one immigration system for all.

Apply now for the EU Settlement Scheme

If you are a current EU student already living in the UK and want to stay beyond 31 December 2020, you may be able to apply now

If you have been living in the UK for 5 years or more you should receive settled status and if you have been here for less than 5 years, pre-settled status.

To apply, you will need

  • An android phone or an iPhone 8 or above loaded with the ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’ app
  • A valid passport (not an identity card), or; if you are a non-EU citizen who has a residence card or permanent residence card issued on the basis of an application you made on or after 6 April 2015.
  • Access to an Android device loaded with the app (not currently available on iOS).
  • National Insurance Number and/or Supporting Documents. If you have a NI number this will be all you need, unless you are granted pre-settled status and believe you are entitled to settled status because you’ve been in the UK for 5 years or more. There are many documents that can be accepted as proof of your status for instance, documents from Student Finance England about your tuition fee loan. ..

Confirmation of your studies

If you need a letter from the University showing your registered student status and course duration you can request a Certificate of Registration online and pick it up from your Student Services Hub.

If you’re a former Essex student you’ll need to request an Award Confirmation Letter online, there is a £5 charge for this.

How to Apply for a National Insurance Number

It’s free and straightforward to apply, you need to call the National Insurance number application line to apply for a NI number.

Further information about the EU Settlement Scheme

Home Office guidance

The Home Office has created an online tool to explain what you need to do and when. You can also sign up for regular email alerts.

We also recommend you read the following Home Office policy papers and guidance:

UKCISA guidance

If you are planning to come to the UK to study during the next three years, UKCISA has an advice page about UK immigration, your eligibility for home fee status, student support and more.

Immigration Advice

You can call the UKCISA student advice line open from 1pm to 4pm Monday to Friday. You can also find out more about the Settlement Scheme on the UKCISA website.

Sorry but our University advisers aren’t able to offer advice regarding applications for settlement in the UK.