Students Staff

Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

A CAS is an electronic document created by your Tier 4 sponsor using the Home Office Sponsored Management System (SMS). It is not a paper document and:

  • is valid for six months or until it is used, withdrawn or made obsolete; and
  • can only be used to make one Tier 4 application.

How can I obtain a University of Essex CAS?

Starting a new course

Our Admissions team are responsible for issuing CAS's to eligible applicants who will be:

  • making a Tier 4 application to start a new course at the University of Essex (including current Essex sponsored students holding an offer to begin a new Essex course)
  • pre-sessional students studying with Kaplan at the University of Essex International College
  • When will you issue my CAS?

    We will issue your CAS up to three months before your course start date, provided that we have confirmed your place at the University and assessed you as eligible in line with the Tier 4 Sponsor Guidance in force at the time.

    Therefore, for applicants starting at the beginning of October we will start issuing CAS to eligible applicants from the beginning of July. In order to confirm your place you must accept our offer officially and meet all outstanding conditions.

    Find out about the Tier 4 English language requirements and what you will require to study your course with us.

  • How will I receive it?

    Once we have issued your CAS you will receive a statement that sets out all the information we have provided to the Home Office.

    If you are an undergraduate or postgraduate applicant, your statement will be available to view in your myEssex applicant portal.

    If you are an Essex Abroad applicant, you will receive your statement by email. If you are a pre-sessional applicant, you will be notified by email when your statement is ready to view.

  • Will I have to pay a deposit?

    If you are a self-funded postgraduate applicant or you are an undergraduate applicant who has applied to the University through the University’s online direct admissions system you will normally be asked to pay a tuition deposit of £1000 before we issue your CAS. There is more information in our Tuition Fee Deposit Policy (.pdf).

    If you are coming to study a pre-sessional English programme you will normally be asked make a deposit payment of £250. We will contact you directly with details of how to make a payment, and how much to pay.

  • Pre-sessional English courses

    We offer a range of pre-sessional English courses, delivered by Kaplan at the University of Essex International College, and you may choose to take one before you start your main course of study.

    If you meet the eligibility criteria, we will issue you a single CAS to cover both your pre-sessional English course and your main course of study.

    Where we are not able to issue you with a single CAS to cover both your pre-sessional English course and main course, we will issue a CAS for your pre-sessional English course only. Once you have completed this successfully and are eligible, we will issue another CAS to cover your degree course, you will have to apply for a new Tier 4 visa to cover this period of study. You can normally apply for an extension to your Tier 4 visa from within the UK.

  • I am an Essex Abroad student, can I get a CAS?

    If you are a studying with us for more than six months you should be eligible, and your CAS will be issued by our Admissions team. However, our Essex Abroad office will deal with your initial request.

    If you will spend up to six months studying with us you may be eligible to apply for entry as a Short-term student.

    Contact Essex Abroad by emailing

  • Who do I contact about my CAS?

    If you have any questions about your CAS or you have a CAS that needs amending, contact our Admissions team by completing our enquiry form for those applying to study a new course with us.

Continuing the same course

Our International Services Team are responsible for issuing CAS's to eligible registered Essex students who will be making:

  • a Tier 4 application to complete their current Essex course
  • a Tier 4 application before changing to a different course part way through their programme (following advice from IST)
  • a Tier 4 (DES) application (PhD students due to complete within 60 days)
  • When and how can I request my CAS?

    We recommend you request your CAS at least four months before your current visa is due to expire as it can take some time to gather all required evidence, especially evidence of available funds.

    To request a CAS, please email our International Services Team.

  • How long will it take for you to send me my CAS?

    Your CAS request will be assessed and, if you are eligible, will be issued to you. We aim to issue your CAS within five working days and will send your CAS statement to your @essex email address.

    Please note that at certain times of the year it may take longer to process a request and we may have to prioritise applications.

  • I am returning from intermission/to resit exam(s), how do I request a CAS?

    You will be able to request a CAS up to four months before you are due to restart your course. We recommend you apply between three and four months before you are due to return to your studies as it can take some time for an entry clearance post to process your visa application. You can submit your request by contacting the International Services Team.

    If you are coming back to resit an exam, and after that your course will have finished, you will not be eligible and should apply for entry clearance as a Short-term student.

  • I would like to apply for the Doctorate Extension Scheme. how do I request a CAS?

    This scheme is for students who have almost finished their UK PhD or other doctorate qualification and gives an additional 12 months of Tier 4 (General) immigration permission to remain in the UK. Please be aware that you cannot apply for DES if your award has already been conferred.

    If you haven't yet completed your PhD with us and are interested in applying to remain in the UK under this scheme, please read our information on how and when to apply for DES permission.

  • Who do I contact about my CAS?

    Please contact the International Services Team if you:

    • have any questions about your CAS
    • have a CAS that needs amending
    • need to request a CAS

Payments to our University for tuition fees and accommodation

If you have made payments to our University towards your tuition fees and/or University accommodation this should be recorded on your CAS and show on your CAS statement.

If you make payments after we have issued your CAS, or you think the amount shown is incorrect, you can request that your CAS is updated by contacting the team that issued it.

All the tuition fees you have paid for the academic year, as stated on your CAS, can be deducted from the total amount you must have available to you for tuition fees. It may be possible for you to deduct some of the fees paid to us for your University accommodation from the amount you must have available to you for maintenance. Please read the Tier 4 rules and guidance and our applying for a visa section for more information about the Tier 4 financial requirements.

Please check that you have the correct level of available funds and the evidence to prove it, this is the most common reason for an application to be refused by the Home Office.

General information

As a Tier 4 sponsor we are only able to issue a CAS if you and your course meet all the Home Office requirements and you are required to be in attendance. By using our CAS you will have many responsibilities both to us and to the UK Government. Please ensure you are aware of what your responsibilities are by reading our information and guidance and keeping up to date with changes to the immigration rules.

The CAS number you state on your Tier 4 application will be the one used by the Home Office. If you have been issued with more than one CAS number, all other CAS's will be cancelled (made obsolete) by the Home Office when you make your Tier 4 application.

If you have had a Tier 4 visa application rejected or refused and think you need another CAS, you should seek advice if necessary. If you or your course do not meet the requirements to be issued with a CAS you may be able to apply for Entry Clearance as a Short-term student.

In line with our duties as a Tier 4 sponsor, we reserve the right to withdraw or refuse to issue a CAS.