Students Staff

Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

A CAS is an electronic document created by your immigration sponsor using the Home Office Sponsored Management System (SMS). It is not a paper document; you’ll need the CAS number to input into your Student application form. A CAS is:

  • valid for six months from the date of issue or until it is used, withdrawn or made obsolete and;
  • can only be used to make one visa application.

The CAS number you state on your Student application will be the one used by the Home Office. If you have been issued with more than one CAS number, all other CAS's will be cancelled (made obsolete) by the Home Office when you make your visa application.

If you have had a visa application rejected or refused and think you need another CAS, you should seek advice if necessary. If you or your course do not meet the requirements to be issued with a CAS you may be able to apply for a visitor visa or another category of the Immigration Rules in force at the time.

We are only able to issue a CAS if you and your course meet all the Home Office requirements. When you are issued your CAS you will have many responsibilities both to us and to the UK Government. Please ensure you are aware of what your responsibilities are by reading our information and guidance and keeping up to date with changes to the immigration rules.

In line with our duties as a Student Sponsor, we reserve the right to withdraw our sponsorship or refuse your CAS request.

How can I obtain a CAS to start a new Essex course?

Our Admissions team are responsible for issuing CAS to eligible applicants who will be:

  • making a Student application to start a new course at the University of Essex. Including, current Essex sponsored students holding an offer to begin a new Essex course and some pre-sessional students studying with Kaplan at the University of Essex International College.

More information about the CAS process for those starting new Essex courses can be found on our international applicant pages including who to contact if you have a query.

How can I obtain a CAS to continue my course?

Our International Services Team are responsible for issuing CAS to eligible registered Essex students who wish to make:

  • a Student application to complete their current Essex course
  • a Student application before changing to a different course part way through their programme (following advice from IST)

Further information about obtaining a CAS to continue your course:

  • When and how can I request my CAS so I can complete my current course?

    We recommend you request your CAS 4 months before your current visa is due to expire or you are due to return after a break in your studies.

    I’m studying my Essex course in the UK with valid UK immigration permission and need to make a Student route application to finish my current course:

    To request a CAS, please ask us via our online enquiry form for current Essex students.

    Please note: you will not be eligible for a CAS if you have reassessment and are not required to attend teaching or exams in person inside the UK.

    I’m overseas and have or had a Student visa to study my course at Essex, I need to apply for a new Student visa to enter the UK and complete my course:

    To request a CAS, please ask us via our online enquiry form for current Essex students.

    Please note: If you are coming back to resit an exam, and after that your course will have finished, you may not be eligible and may need to apply for entry clearance as a Visitor.

    I started my course in 2020/2021, I have been studying remotely overseas and do not have a valid CAS or Student visa:

    If you started your course in 2020/2021 academic year you should contact our Admission team in the first instance to request a CAS. Once they have completed their checks the CAS request will be passed to International Services so that we can check your academic engagement and progress. Your CAS will be issued by the International Services team when all checks have been completed satisfactorily.

    Please note: we will not issue you a CAS if you are in debt to the University.

    If you are starting a new Essex course in the 2021/2022 academic year you will need to contact our Admissions teams about your CAS after reading the online guidance.

  • How long will it take for you to send me my CAS?

    Your CAS request will be assessed in line with the Immigration rules and guidance in force at the time of your request. There are a number of checks we have to make to ensure you are eligible for our sponsorship including, but not limited to:

    • You must have confirmed you can meet all the requirements to make a successful application.
    • Your current passport and immigration documents.
    • Your financial documents, if we have requested them.
    • For degree level students or below we have to check you will not exceed the maximum time you’re allowed to spend in the UK studying as a sponsored student.
    • Your English language level meets the requirements.
    • Your engagement, attendance and progression on your course is satisfactory.
    • Your payment/debt record.
    • Your immigration history.
    • Confirmation from SWIS that you are fit to return if you have been intermitting on medical grounds.
    • For PhD students, we may need your supervisor to confirm arrangements for supervision. If you have an ATAS certificate, you’ll need to obtain a new one from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office before we can process your CAS request. It can take up to 30 days to obtain a new certificate.
    • If you’re applying in the UK you are eligible to do so, will meet all requirements to apply before your current visa expires and meet academic progression requirements of the Student rules.
    • If you need to apply overseas, that you can do so in a University vacation and return to your course at the start of the next term.

    Our checks usually take at least 10 working days from the date we have received all the information we require from you, your department or school, Admissions, Income and SWIS (if you are returning from a period of medical intermission). However, it can take much longer in peak periods, especially at the start of the academic year.

    Your CAS statement will be uploaded to your myEssex current student portal when it is ready, you’ll receive an email to let you know it’s there. The earliest you can make your application for permission to stay or enter will be the day after the CAS is issued.

    Please note that at certain times of the year it may take longer to process a request and we may have to prioritise requests. If your CAS request is received less that one month before your current visa expires and you’re in the UK, we cannot guarantee that we can issue you a CAS in time and you may have to leave the UK to apply overseas, we may need additional evidence from you of your ability to meet the financial requirements.

  • I’ve got my CAS, what should I do now?

    Check it to make sure all the details are correct. If we’ve made any mistakes please contact us immediately and before you make your application, to let us know.

    If you have made payments to our University towards your tuition fees and/or University accommodation this should be recorded on your CAS and show on your CAS statement. If you make payments after we have issued your CAS, or you think the amount shown is incorrect, you can request that your CAS is updated by contacting us.

  • Who do I contact about my CAS?

    Please contact the International Services Team if you have been issued with a CAS by IST to complete your course and it needs amending. Please do not chase us if you made a request for your CAS less than 4 weeks ago unless you are in the UK and your visa is expiring within the next 2 weeks.

    If you are overseas and are waiting for your CAS, we apologise for the wait and would ask that you do not chase us as this causes further delays, we appreciate that you are anxious but we are processing CAS requests as fast as we can and will contact you if we need more information. You will receive an email as soon as your CAS is issued and it will be available to view on your myEssex student portal. You can make a request to commence the 2021/2022 academic year remotely from overseas. This will be considered by your department in the first instance. If you have or need a Student visa and your department agree that you can study remotely for the whole academic year, you won’t be issued a CAS and will need to make a request 4 months before the start of the 2022/2023 academic year. You should not make arrangements to travel until you have been issued with a Student visa by the UKVI.

    If you are starting your course in 2021/2022 academic year you will need to contact our Admissions teams.