Students Staff

Schengen Visa: visiting Europe

If you are not a European Economic Area national and want to travel to Europe, you may be required to apply for a Schengen visa before you travel.

The Schengen Visa Scheme enables non-EEA nationals to obtain one visa to visit a number of designated countries within the EEA as a tourist, it allows short stays or visits of up to 3 months in any 6 month period.

  • Evidence of your studies

    To apply you will need to supply various documents including a Certificate of Registration as proof of your studies.

    Sponsored Students

    IIf you have a Tier 4/Student visa and would like your visit to take place during your term time you must request this absence is authorised via your myEssex portal. Unauthorised absences have to be reported by the University to the Home Office and could affect your immigration status and your ability to complete your studies as planned.

  • Top tips

    • Apply as early as possible as it can take some time to obtain a Schengen Visa.
    • Make sure you have adequate travel and medical insurance that includes repatriation to your home country.
    • The UK is not a Schengen state so you can not enter the UK using a Schengen visa, you must make sure you have a valid UK visa for re-entry into the UK if you are planning to return after your trip.
    • You cannot apply if you are in the UK with a type of visitor visa.
    • Make sure you take care of your passport and BRP, if you lose your BRP whilst you are outside the UK you’ll have to apply for temporary permission to return and this can take at least two weeks.

  • Further information and advice

    Please read the UKCISA guidance about travelling to Europe which includes information about Schengen visas. If you have any additional questions you will need to ask the Embassy you are applying to as the application forms and requirements vary from country to country.

    Check the website for the country you would like to visit. To find a London based Embassy/Consulate see the London Diplomatic List on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.

    Due to the regulation of immigration advice and services in the UK the University is not able to offer advice or guidance regarding Schengen visa applications.