Students Staff

Immigration Rules and Guidance - Study

The Home Office update and amend the Immigration Rules and Guidance regularly so please see below for the relevant links. Please read the Home Office website regularly to keep up-to-date with changes to UK immigration law and guidance.

Below are the categories of the UK’s Immigration Rules, however, there are many other types of immigration permission that allow study in the UK that are not mentioned below. If you are planning to study certain subjects at postgraduate level, you may need to apply for an ATAS certificate to study in the UK.

Student route

The Student route applies to students wishing to study for more than 6 months in the UK and includes rules for Student Dependants. The University of Essex is a Student Sponsor with a track record of compliance.

Guidance for sponsors

Visitor route

The Standard Visitor route was amended to allow study of up to 6 months and the Short-term student route was removed from the Immigration Rules on the 1 December 2020.

Visa National list

ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme)

Some Essex PhD students require ATAS clearance from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office before they can study. Our Admissions team will let you know when you apply for a place to study with us.

Nationals from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the USA, are exempt from obtaining ATAS clearance for postgraduate study in relevant subjects.

Visa and Immigration Guidance for Home Office Staff

UK Government Covid-19 Concessions and Guidance

Guidance for Student sponsors, migrants and short-term students about temporary concessions. These are to be read alongside the Immigration Rules and Guidance. Read the UKCISA guidance for further information about the Covid immigration concessions.