Students Staff

Applying for a visa to study at the University of Essex

What immigration permission will I need to study at Essex?

Find out if you need a visa to study in the UK on the Home Office website and if so, what visa to apply for.

If you aren’t a UK or Irish national, you will need to hold valid UK immigration permission that allows you to study your University of Essex course. We will need to check your passport and immigration documents before you commence your course.

The type of visa you need to apply for will depend on your circumstances including, what passport or travel document you hold, the length of your proposed study and where you are applying from.

EEA and Swiss nationals living in the UK before 23:00 31 December 2020, should apply to the EU Settlement Scheme for settled status before 30 June 2021. You can study with settled or pre-settled status.

We’ll need to check and scan your passport and immigration documents when you start your course to make sure you have the right to study in the UK with us. Find out what documents we require.

University of Essex International College

If you will be studying a Kaplan pathway course at the University of Essex International College, the guidance in these pages does not apply to you. Please contact the college.

Applying for a visa to study for up to 6 months

If you are applying overseas you may be able to apply for the following immigration permission:

Applying to study with us for more than 6 months

You’ll need to apply for permission under the Student rules and will require a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) from the University first.

Please read all of the relevant information and guidance from the government website and from UKCISA to make sure you know what you need before you apply.

Immigration advice and services are regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC)
and we as an institution have to abide by the Commissioner's Code of Standards. The OISC has the power to investigate complaints made about immigration advice and services provided by an institution. We can only provide advice to University of Essex applicants and students.