Students Staff

Alternative services

Depending on your circumstances you may be able to seek advice from the following external organisations. Some charge for their services so please check what their charges are likely to be before instructing them to act on your behalf.

Free advice services

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)

UKCISA is a charitable organisation specialising in UK student immigration law and publish information, advice and guidance online.

UKCISA also offer free telephone advice to students and institutions.

This is an extremely busy advice line so you may need to redial the number several times before you get through.

  • Telephone: 0207 788 9214, open 1pm - 4pm, Monday to Friday

Citizens Advice Bureau

The Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) offer free advice on many issues and offices can be found in most towns. However, many CAB offices are unable to offer immigration advice. Please check their websites for details of services in your area. The CAB also offers some online information about immigration and finding an immigration adviser.

Regulated immigration advisers

You should check that any adviser you use is regulated to provide immigration advice in the UK. You can search for a regulated immigration adviser via:

We don't recommend alternative services, however, the services below are local to the University of Essex.

  • Colchester

    Fisher Jones Greenwood

    • Located in Colchester
    • Website:
    • Telephone: 01206 835270


    University of Essex students may be eligible for a reduced fee for the first hour. It may be possible to negotiate a fixed fee for certain advice/services. Please check how much you're likely to pay when you contact them.

    Immigration Legal Services


    Fees, including a schedule of charges. Please check how much you're likely to pay when you contact them.

  • Southend and Loughton

    We don't currently have details for immigration solicitors local to Southend or Loughton.

Regulation of immigration advice and services

The Office of the Information Services Commissioner (OISC) provides information on the regulation of immigration advice services in the UK and finding a registered immigration specialist. The OISC is responsible for regulating immigration advisers by ensuring they are fit and competent and act in the best interests of their clients.

Translation services

If you need documents translated into English for your application you must ensure the translation meets the Home Office requirements, as outlined in the Home Office Tier 4 Policy Guidance. There are many organisations that offer translation services, the following have been recommended to us and cover all languages:

University of Essex advice services