Students Staff
Applying through Clearing outside of Europe? Find out all about the visa requirements you'll need to study at the University of Essex

Information for international applicants

Please note that we are no longer able to consider new applications from international students for 2017 entry. If you an international student and are interested in applying to the University of Essex, the good news is we are open for October 2018 applications. If you would like to make an application, please visit

If you are a citizen of a country that is not part of the European Economic Area or Switzerland it is likely that you will require a visa to enter or remain in the UK to study. The type of visa you need to apply for will depend on your circumstances including what passport or travel document you hold, the length of your proposed study, and where you are applying from.

The UK Visas and Immigration website will tell you if you need a visa to study in the UK and if so what type to apply for.

Our immigration webpages provide detailed guidance for international applicants and we recommend you read these alongside the UK Home Office’s Tier 4 guidance if you require a visa to study in the UK.

Applying for a visa

If you are successful in obtaining a place at the University of Essex and need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa to study with us, you will require a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies). Your CAS is a unique number that we will give you. You will need to provide this, together with relevant documents about your qualifications and your ability to fund your studies in the UK, when you make your visa application.

If you have already obtained a place and are holding an unconditional firm offer for an undergraduate course at the University of Essex, we will contact you shortly with a link to our online CAS questionnaire which you must complete before we can issue your CAS. Once we have approved your responses to the CAS questionnaire and you have provided any required documentation which has been requested from you, we will be able to issue your CAS.

If you are currently studying with another Tier 4 sponsor in the UK, please check what you must do about your visa before you can start your course at Essex.



Got your place at Essex? Make sure you apply for accommodation as soon as possible. We offer a range of accommodation options.

Life at Essex

Students in a restaurant

Find out what life at Essex is really like. See more of our campuses and facilities, and hear from our students and academics.


Students working at PCs

Find out what scholarships and bursaries you could be eligible for. Students from all backgrounds can benefit from an Essex Education.

Contact us

Speech bubble

Need help? Got a question? See our opening hours and contact details. You can get in touch by phone, email or in person.