Students Staff

Information for new students

We know that there can be a lot to take in your first few weeks with us. We've brought together the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions below. As an interdisciplinary student, you will be studying modules run by various schools and departments around our University. However, your course is formally administered by our Interdisciplinary Studies Centre and you will receive support from our Administrators, who are here to help you with any queries you may have:

ISC Office

Room 6.130

Telephone +44 (0)1206 872200

General Office opening hours Monday to Friday 10am-4pm

Location Level 6 on Square 4, above the campus shop


  • What welcome events are run for my course?

    We arrange various events for new students who are taking our courses.

  • How will I receive information from the Centre?

    We will contact you through your University of Essex email account, which you should check regularly. You can also connect your email to your smartphone.

  • What is MyEssex?

    MyEssex is your own personal portal which allows you to personalise a range of features that link to online services and information, based on what it knows about you, such as your course. You will be given access to MyEssex once you have created your email account.

  • What is the Peer Mentoring Programme?

    You will have a second or final year student assigned to you and they will help you to settle in and answer any questions you might have about university life. They can listen to and discuss any issues or problems you have. They are there to help you.

    You will meet your peer mentor at our New Students Welcome event, and they may contact you by email during the first few weeks of term.

  • Will I be given a personal tutor?

    You will be assigned an advisor and this is usually your course director. You will be given the opportunity to meet with your advisor during the first few weeks of term, and this will give you an opportunity to discuss any questions you may have.

    If you feel as though you need to meet with an advisor before this time, then we can put you in contact with them. Please ask one of our administrators for further information

  • Who is my course director?

    Our course directors are responsible for the management and coordination of the courses that we offer. They also monitor the progress of students and look at quality assurance issues. If you need help or advice regarding your course, have complaints or queries about it, or are experiencing academic problems, please contact your course director as soon as possible.

  • Who is the disability liaison officer?

    Dr Lorna Finlayson is the disability liaison officer for our Centre in the autumn term.

    Dr Steven Gormley is the disability liaison officer for our Centre in the spring and summer terms.

  • Is there a forum where I can air my views?

    Our Student Staff Liaison Committee provides a forum at which students are invited to air concerns or issues affecting all aspects of their study.

    You can put yourself forward to be a student representative and information will be available at our new students welcome event, or you can email

  • How can I get lecture notes?

    Lecture notes are usually made available online on Moodle or on our Online Resource Bank.

    Listen Again audio recordings of lectures can be a helpful revision tool, but must not be used as a substitute for actual attendance at lectures.

  • Are there any recommended reading lists?

    Reading lists are available via our online reading list tool Talis Aspire.

  • How do I submit coursework online?

    Our FASER coursework submission system is where you will upload your assignments electronically. As our courses are interdisciplinary, you must find out from each department for the modules you are taking how they expect you to submit assignments.

  • What happens if I do not feel well and am unable to attend class?

    It is important to attend both lectures and classes but if you are ill then please ensure that you contact your class tutor as soon as possible, by email, to let them know that you are not going to attend. Your class tutor can then give you any reading that you miss in class. Please also complete the notification of absence form which is available on MyEssex.

    If you are due to be absent for a longer period of time or you’ve missed, or are going to miss, a significant amount of teaching, you should contact your Personal Tutor, other member of departmental staff or the Student Services Hub for advice and support.