Students Staff

Tenancy transfers

If you decide to live off campus in private accommodation, you may transfer your accommodation contract to another student in the private sector.

How to apply

Applications for the academic year 2018-19 are now open.

Apply for a tenancy transfer


Once you have found a suitable student for a room transfer, you should both visit the Student Service Hub where your request will be processed straight away.


Once you have found a suitable student for a room transfer, you should contact reception or email


The charges for transferring a tenancy are:

  • £20 fee (non-refundable): to change your accommodation contract into the name of the new student. We are only able to take card payments for this transaction at the Information Desk in the Student Services Hub.

Transfers of a Southend 2 year contract may be considered up until 31 May in the first year of the 2 year deal. Due to the nature of accommodation allocations at Southend, the student taking over the contract must be of equal status as the student surrendering. This means if the outgoing student is, for example, a first year Nursing student (this year), the incoming must be the same; or if outgoing student, for example, is a second year EBS student (next year), then the incoming student must be the same.

Please note: due to the number of students arriving at the start of the academic year, transfer is not available until the third week of term. All students must have been living in their accommodation for at least three weeks from the date of allocation.

Please note this does not apply to previous twin room occupants.

Terms and Conditions

  • Student requesting transfer

    • once a student has been found that is willing to take over your tenancy, we will transfer the contract for the room to the incoming student and they will be liable for the full rent from the date the contract commences until the end of the contract agreement and
    • you must be 18 or over to transfer from University owned or administered accommodation to the private sector
    • No money should change hands between students as all contractual and financial matters will be dealt with by the accommodation office
    • not have already completed a room exchange or transfer during the current term
    • You will not be permitted a transfer if your rent is being paid by your institution
    • you will then be released from the contract and able to take on your new contract in the private sector
    • transfers involving 3 or more students is not permitted due to the complicated nature of the transaction
    • you are permitted to transfer accommodation if you are on the Southend two year deal up until 31 May of the first year as long as you transfer to a student with the same status as you
    • information as per our Terms and Conditions of Residence

  • Student taking on Tenancy

    • any student taking over the tenancy of a University administered room will be responsible for the contract and the rent until the end date of that contract
    • Please be aware that if you already have a contract in the private sector and this has not been cancelled, then you will remain liable for the rent on that contract, as well as this new contract with the University. We advise you not to take on any additional contract that will put you in financial hardship.
    • the University will not be able to release you from your University accommodation contract once you have accepted the transfer
    • the terms and conditions of the new tenancy agreement will be the same as those that applied to the vacating student
    • a transfer may not be permitted if the balance of gender and nationalities is adversely affected within a flat

    You must:

    • be fully registered with the University
    • not have already completed a room exchange or transfer during the current term
    • have no debt to the University
    • have no outstanding disciplinary case against you relating to accommodation
    • have the same letting period as the person you are transferring with (agree to take on the same contract length as the outgoing student)
    • be a female if moving in to an all-female flat or male if moving in to an all-male flat
    • not already be living in University Accommodation

  • Essex International College/South Essex College Students

    Essex International College/South Essex College students cannot transfer with University of Essex students, however they are able to transfer with other Essex International College/South Essex College students and should contact their support office for Essex International College or Jane Belcher on 01702 220563 for South Essex College

Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for further information.